Sunday, February 1, 2009

If you don't like the sunrise . . .

. . . just wait a few minutes; it'll change. Now we've all heard our own states of choice make that claim before (usuallly about the weather), but out here in West Texas it can be so true. Take, for instance, this sunrise one fine morning. I'd stopped off at Dog Canyon to take in the morning and saw these clouds taking shape above Persimmon Peak. Noting they were too high above Dog Canyon for any real photographic impact, I decided to head on to work and await developments there. I must say I was not disappointed. Sunrise properly documented, I began my usual morning routine to get things underway in the booth, when not ten minutes later I came across this scene:

Is that remarkable, or what? I couldn't believe that in just the span of ten minutes -- that's 600 seconds in dog years (no, wait; that's not right) -- the sky could change so much and the whole mood with it, all thanks to a bank of fog rolling in from the north. That nice glow given to it by the early sun was an added benefit.


Now, on a lighter note, I'd like to leave you with yet another favorite silhouette of mine -- the Electric Chicken. I first spotted this little phenomemon back in my first season here on my walk from the Visitor Center to the booth, so I thought I'd go ahead and add it in here. Don't think you're going to get a silhouette every week, though. The Grinch and the chicken are the only two I've found so far, but I'll keep looking. (Oh, and that's a yucca, by the way, in case you were wondering.)