Sunday, February 22, 2009

Diggin' In

Well, howdy once again, buckaroos and buckarettes! The move to not only a permanent position but a new set of digs is done at last, and here are the digs. (It's really hard to capture a permanent position on "film." I'm still working on capturing it in my head!) It's not nearly as roomy as my 1-bedroom apartment was, but I lived in a much smaller trailer than this with a girlfriend and a medium-sized dog for four years once, so this is quite spacious compared to that.

I won't give you the whole tour (I'm planning a photo gallery for that), but I thought I'd go ahead and touch on the basics -- like the living area here. Tight but cozy. The shiny black box with the Texas flag magnet on it in the lower left corner is the Beer Fridge, right there by the sofa. Now how convenient, huh? Oh, yeah!

And here we have the kitchen area, also small and compact. I like the way they put mirrors everywhere to give the illusion of space. Pretty psychological, that. I'm going to go ahead and use their Barbie dish drainer instead of my folding wooden one, as there's just not enough counter space for it.

And here's my office, as it were. It gets the job done, more or less, but I really haven't put it to the test yet with a major task. I have an extra TV tray available for that, if necessary.

And finally, we have the bedroom. My little camera didn't have enough wide-angle lens to handle it all, but I think you get the picture. (ha ha) How much room does it really take to sleep comfortably, anyway? It's got a full-sized bed, so who's complaining?

Of course, with the new digs outside the park comes the need for a new address more conveniently located than 34 miles away at Panther Junction. And here we have it: HC65, Box 437 -- only 6 miles away, and on the way to work -- in all its aerated splendor. (You can actually look straight through all nine mailboxes on these posts, thanks to all the bulletholes.) No, no; this will not do. So, it's off to the big city of Alpine I go to procure a more modern, less meteorologically hazardous mailbox.

And, voila! We have a nice, new, shiny mailbox, all ready for business. Pretty nice, huh? Notice the bulletholes in Box 438, no doubt what brought about the ultimate demise of the old plastic Box 437. With any luck, that kind of malarkey is over and done with, but you never know about bored and drunk cowpokes.

Moving on to more artistic and cultural endeavors, here's a shot I call "Moonset Over Pepe" in honor of the esteemed Ansel Adams' "Moonrise Over Hernandez" that I love so much. I was on one of my last to-work stopoffs at the Dog Canyon trailhead to stretch my legs and smell the desert morning. I just couldn't resist.

They dropped The Bomb!!! Well, maybe they did; maybe they didn't. Anyway, it was a curious and fortuitous cloud formation, to be sure, so I had to grab it quick. This cloud was moving right along.

To give it a little more impact, I decided to shoot it through my dark red 87B Infrared filter. Pretty neat! The vegetation didn't separate out as much as I would've liked, but it was the cloud I was after, after all. It's a really nice effect, something like what you'd see in an electron microscope. Is it just me, or is that cloud staring at me? Shades of The Brain From Planet Arous.

Now here's something you don't get to see everyday -- a horse running through your yard. Actually, there were two of them, but I could only get out there in time to catch this one running along the road. Nice morning lighting, huh?

And, finally, here's a little shot I did for my friend, Sally Jones, who recently lamented in an email about how she loved and missed the "mailbox corner" since they won't be coming back this year. This is for you, Sally! For those of you not familiar with the area, that's Highway 385 heading north toward the mountains, with Ranch Road 2627 -- the road whereon Stillwell's RV Park resides -- branching off to the right. (That's for you, Lyn.) The park boundary is about 3/4 of a mile or so behind me.