Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bildwerke Gallery Opening

Greetings once again, folks. Not much happening around here lately, except for this awesome gallery opening at Building 98 of the former Fort D. A. Russell in Marfa. I'd met these two a couple of years ago and was totally jazzed to hear they had an opening nearby. (Ha! If you can call 125 miles nearby.) It was a great show, though, and I'm so glad I made it. By the way, Bildwerke is German for "Picture Works".

Here I am in the foyer of Building 98 with friends Johannes and Sallie. Johannes is from Salzburg, Austria, and I just found out that Sallie's from, of all places, Fort Worth. I had no idea. Hey, we were neighbors!

This is an example of Sallie's painting, although the photo really doesn't do it justice, as usual. You just can't get all the tonality and subtlety of the original. It's truly wonderful work.

And here's a piece of her drawing that totally floored me. I just couldn't stop looking at it. All of her work was so intricate and delicate, but this really had me locked in.

I didn't get any photos of Johannes' exquisite photography, but you can get a glimpse of some of his more graphic work behind them here. When I first laid eyes on these particular pieces (there were several styles represented throughout the exhibit), I was shocked to find they looked so similar to work I did a number of years ago. It was amazing.

Well, that'll give you a taste of the event for now, but if you'd like to check out my photo gallery and catch the whole show, copy and paste this link in to your search window (I can't get the link to appear):
http://highroad.smugmug.com/gallery/7303514_XiVsW#P-1-12