Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pepe vs. Deer

And welcome to the Wild West, folks, where if you're not careful -- and sometimes even if you are -- this sort of thing can happen to you. I was headed to work on Tuesday morning early and shortly after I turned onto Highway 385, a 6-point buck came charging out of the bushes at me with his head down. I stomped the brakes and turned away from him, but he was on me in nothing flat and BOOM!, down he went. In looking back, he was in an out-and-out charge, as I've never seen a deer run across the road with his head down like that. After I got out and went back to check him out and move him off the road, a doe ran out of the same bushes and across the road, so he was definitely in his protective mode.

And here's another angle to show the impact area where his body hit. Fortunately, he didn't knock out the headlight, but it does point down at the ground and is virtually useless for night driving and I can't get it adjusted out. Looks like a job for an auto body shop. Dang! Well, at least Pepe's still drivable.

Oh, well. That ought to just about catch you up on big events around here for now. Next weekend I'm going out on a wildflower photo safari throughout the park, so stay tuned!